The Lance Armstrong doping confession claims are totally false, the athlete’s lawyer said in an e-mail to CNN Sports on Friday. Attorney Tim Herman said Lance Armstrong was not engaged in any discussion with anti-doping agencies about admitting he took illegal performance-enhancing drugs.
The Lance Armstrong doping accusations came to a head last year when he was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and banned from competing for life. The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said in taking action against Armstrong that evidence was overwhelming he was involved in a doping program.
Over the course of his amazing career, Lance Armstrong has repeatedly denied ever taking any performance-enhancing drugs or being involved in doping in any way. Once known as the world’s greatest cyclist, Armstrong even testified under oath that he never used illegal substances. He has often pointed to the evidence of over 500 drug tests he claims he took and always passed.
Armstrong sued the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency last year over their investigation, but eventually gave up the fight after a judge dismissed the case. He released a press statement later saying he would no longer comment about the investigation or its results, and he was done fighting against the doping accusations.
The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has never stated Lance Armstrong failed any drug tests, but said former teammates testified about how they fooled the tests or just avoided taking them.
The New York Times claimed in a story earlier this week that a Lance Armstrong doping admission might be forthcoming soon after sources said he was in discussion with U.S. and World Anti-Doping Agency officials. According to the report, Lance Armstrong was allegedly hoping an admission of guilt might allow him to compete professionally again.
Subscribe to Snark Food updates on Facebook, Twitter, Email, or RSS