JustÂ as Michael Jackson‘s new posthumous single “This Is It” was set to be released on the late singer’s website, singer/songwriter Paul Anka was threatening to sue Jackson’s estate. Turns out the new Michael Jackson song was actually recorded 18 years ago by Paul Anka, who co-wrote the song with Jackson in back in the 80’s under the title “I Never Heard.”
The late pop icon’s estate capitulated immediately when the scandal erupted over the origin of the new single from the upcoming Michael Jackson This Is It documentary movie. Administrators of Michael Jackson’s estate released a statement that Paul Anka would receive 50 percent of the copyright for “This Is It” – a coup that could reap millions for Anka.
Paul Anka told TMZ.com that he and Jackson did the song together for inclusion on Anka’s 1983 album Walk A Fine Line, but the song was later dropped. Anka says Michael Jackson stole the master tapes of the song from him. Later, Anka said he gave the song to a Latin singer named Sa-Fire.
The revelation of the song’s past is an embarrassing blow to Sony Music. The company has widely promoted the “This Is It” single as a previously unrecorded, original song by Michael Jackson. The Jackson estate will also suffer badly for their mistake, losing out on a hefty chunk of change that now belongs to Paul Anka.
>> Previously: Michael Jackson â€˜This Is Itâ€™ Song Debuts Online Monday
Subscribe to Snark Food updates on Facebook, Twitter, Email, or RSS