The Susan G. Komen Planned Parenthood funding cuts decision has been reversed following a massive public outcry against the breast-cancer advocacy organization. Nancy G. Brinker, the founder and CEO of Susan G. Komen For the Cure Foundation, announced on Friday that the new agency policies leading to the Planned Parenthood funding cuts would be revised.

Susan G. Komen CEO Nancy G. Brinker

While Planned Parenthood does support and provide abortion services, the bulk of the organization’s efforts are geared toward providing health screenings and non-abortion related services to women, many of whom could not afford to access these services elsewhere. Planned Parenthood health centers performed over 4 million breast exams and breast cancer screenings in the past five years. A significant portion of these were supported by grants and funding from the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

The Susan G. Komen For the Cure Foundation previously stated it would stop contributing funds to Planned Parenthood due to new management policies against contributions to agencies currently under federal investigation. The move sparked a huge public backlash against the organization fueled by accusations that the cancellation of funding to Planned Parenthood was motivated by a political agenda. In Congress, 26 U.S. senators signed a scathing letter to Susan G. Komen calling on the organization to revers its decision to stop funding Planned Parenthood.

“It would be tragic if any woman — let alone thousands of women — lost access to these potentially lifesaving screenings because of a politically motivated attack,” the senators wrote.

Planned Parenthood is currently subject to a federal investigation supported by anti-abortion groups and lead by Republican members of Congress. A new policy put in force by the Susan G. Komen For the Cure Foundation denying contributions to any agency currently under investigation would have yanked all of the organization’s funding of Planned Parenthood.

“Our original desire was to fulfill our fiduciary duty to our donors by not funding grant applications made by organizations under investigation,” Susan G. Komen CEO Nancy G. Brinker said in a press statement on Friday. “ We will amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political. That is what is right and fair.”

“We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants, while maintaining the ability of our affiliates to make funding decisions that meet the needs of their communities,” the statement continues.

While protestors of the Susan G. Komen Planned Parenthood funding cuts are claiming at least a partial victory from this sudden reversal of the organization’s decision, the statement on Friday still left some doubts in the minds of many due to its ambiguity.

Susan G. Komen For a Cure Foundation board member John Raffaelli told the Washington Post on Friday that the organization was not making any commitment or guarantee of Planned Parenthood funding in the future.



Subscribe to Snark Food updates on Facebook, Twitter, Email, or RSS