Amy Winehouse had no illegal drugs in her system at the time of her death, toxicology results from the British singer’s autopsy have revealed. Winehouse had consumed alcohol, but it has not yet been determined if it played a part in her cause of death.
“Toxicology results returned to the Winehouse family by authorities have confirmed that there were no illegal substances in Amy’s system at the time of her death,” a statement released by Winehouse’s family said. “Results indicate that alcohol was present but it cannot be determined as yet if it played a role in her death.”
“The family would like to thank the police and coroner for their continuing thorough investigations and for keeping them informed throughout the process. They await the outcome of the inquest in October,” the statement concluded.
Amy Winehouse was found dead at the age of 27 by a bodyguard at London flat in the Cambden district on July 23. Police officials have stated no illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia was found in her home. Winehouse had reportedly had a positive check up by a doctor the night before she died.
“She was in her bedroom after saying she wanted to sleep, and when he went to wake her, [the bodyguard] found she wasn’t breathing,” Winehouse’s representative Chris Goodman told the Sun. “He called the emergency services straight away. He was very shocked. At this stage no one knows how she died. She died alone in bed.”
No official cause of death has been determined from theÂ Amy Winehouse autopsy, which was conducted in London on Monday. The coroner will now have to wait two to four weeks for toxicology results to come back. Meanwhile, new details have been brought to light about the British singer’s final hours.
Amy Winehouse died in her bed at her London home in Cambden Square, according representative Chris Goodman. Goodman said on Monday that a bodyguard had been hired to keep watch over Winehouse and he was the one who found her body. Coroner’s officer Sharon Duff said the the “scene was investigated by police and determined non-suspicious.”
“She was in her bedroom after saying she wanted to sleep, and when he went to wake her he found she wasn’t breathing,” Goodman told MTV News. “He called the emergency services straight away. He was very shocked. At this stage no one knows how she died. She died alone in bed.”
After making an official identification of the singer’s body, Winehouse’s parents stopped by her flat in Cambden, where a shrine to Winehouse continues to grow. Among the candles and flowers, fans also left boxes of cigarettes and bottles of liquor.
Amy Winehouse’s father told a crowd of fans and media that his daughter “was about one thing, and that was love.” Mitch Winehouse said Winehouse’s “whole life was devoted to her family, friends, and to you guys as well. We’re devastated and I’m speechless, but thanks for coming.”
According to her family, Amy Winehouse had received a clean bill of a health from a doctor on Friday. Winehouse battled severe drug and alcohol addictions much of her life. She had allegedly sought treatment for these addictions as recently as last month.