Gary Coleman’s Parents Will Not Fight Son’s Will

The parents of former child star Gary Coleman have announced they will not fight his will. Sue and Willie Coleman told Meredith Vieira on the Today show Friday they are giving up any fight over their son’s body or estate. Coleman’s will is at the center of a battle between the actor’s ex-wife, Shannon Price, and his former manager, Dion Mial.

Gary Coleman (Photo: Daniel McConnell - Wikimedia Commons)

In an interview on the Today show on Friday, Sue and Willie Coleman said they have given up the battle over Gary Coleman’s body and his estate. The Colemans said they had no intention of contesting his will, which was filed in Utah on June 8. The will names Coleman’s former manager, Dion Mial, as the executor of his estate.

Shannon Price, Coleman’s ex-wife, has filed to contest the will, claiming she should have control of what happens to Coleman’s remains and power over his estate.

Coleman’s parents just want all the drama to end and their son to be properly buried. “I want all the talk to stop,” Sue Coleman said. “Gary’s gone. I want his body put away respectfully so that we all can bring some closure to this part of him … Let’s just put him away so that his spirit can just go on to where it’s going. He’s at rest, I know he is, and the rest of us need to bring some closure to it.”

>> Previously:  Gary Coleman Death Leaves Parents Shocked

Gary Coleman Parents Drop Battle Over His Body

The parents of late actor Gary Coleman have dropped their battle with his ex-wife Shannon Price over possession of his body. Price had planned to have a funeral for Coleman this weekend in Utah, but the service was cancelled when his parents filed to be given custody of his remains. Sue and Willie Coleman had wanted their son’s body to be buried in Zion, Illinois, where they live.

Gary Coleman (Photo: Daniel McConnell - Wikimedia Commons)
Gary Coleman (Photo: Daniel McConnell - Wikimedia Commons)

A newly discovered will drafted in the 1990’s by Gary Coleman prompted his parents to give up their fight over their son’s body.

Coleman’s longtime friend and former manager, Dion Mial, was named as the executor of the actor’s estate in his will, which was drafted in the 1990’s. Mial said Coleman’s wife “has absolutely no rights or authority, with regard to the disposition of Gary’s remains, services, estate management.”

“From the start, Mr. and Mrs. Coleman’s intention has been to see that Gary’s wishes be honored and that his affairs be taken care of properly,” the couple’s attorney said in a press statement. “They wanted to do things the right way, and they urge those still involved to do the same. The Colemans ask that everyone please treat Gary with respect and kindness. They feel it is time for him to find peace and let his spirit go.”

Coleman had reportedly not spoken with his parents for 10 years at the time of his death. The former child actor sued his parents 20 years ago after claiming they stole the money he made as a star on Diff’rent Strokes.
 
Mial said funeral services for Coleman are currently pending.

>> Previously:  Gary Coleman Funeral Delayed Over Battle for Body