ESPN Bans New York Post Reporters Over Erin Andrews Peephole Video Pictures

ESPN has banned reporters from the New York Post from appearing on any of their programming after the Post published still pictures from the now infamous Erin Andrews peephole video. The video, shot by a still unidentified voyeur, shows ESPN reporter Erin Andrews strolling naked around a hotel room. The New York Post published several photo screenshots from the video tape on Tuesday.

Most copies of the peephole video have now been removed from the web. Some sites still claiming to host the video are instead infecting eager downloaders with malicious viruses. However, still pictures from the Erin Andrews video have printed by several media outlets over the past few days, including the New York Post – the first major publication to release the photos.

post1

On Wednesday, ESPN announced that all New York Post staffers would be blacklisted from appearing on the network, according to DeadSpin.com. Reporters from the Post have frequently guested on ESPN shows in the past. “While we understand the Post’s decision to cover this as a news story, their running photos obtained in such a fashion went well beyond the boundaries of common decency in the interest of sensationalism,” ESPN Senior Vice President of Communications Chris LaPlaca said in a statement to the press.

In response, the New York Post claims that it is all ESPN’s fault that the Erin Andrews peephole video became an Internet sensation in the first place. According to the Post, when ESPN’s lawyers sent a message to a web site hosting the video download, they confirmed that the video was indeed of Andrews – causing the peephole video to become an almost overnight Internet sensation.

Meanwhile, conservative talk show host Bill O’Reilly is being accused of stepping over the line as well by airing a portion of the Erin Andrews peephole video on his show on the Fox News Network.

Andrews released a statement via her attorney on July 17th verifying that the peephole video footage was indeed of her and was made without her “knowledge or consent.” According to her attorney, Marshall B. Grossman, Andrews intends to file both criminal and civil charges against the creator of the video as soon as they have been positively identified.

Erin Andrews is currently on leave and scheduled to resume her broadcasting duties on ESPN in September.

ESPN Reporter Erin Andrews Peephole Pictures Published by New York Post

The New York Post is once again courting controversy by being the first to post screenshots from the infamous Erin Andrews peephole video on Tuesday. The video shows star ESPN reporter Erin Andrews strolling naked around a hotel room. Andrews’ lawyer, Marshall B. Grossman, said in a statement to the press that the video was illegally obtained through a peephole by a so far unidentified voyeur.

post

Andrews’ reps say she is shocked by the invasion of her privacy and intends to bring criminal and civil charges against the perpetrator. Andrews has not yet spoken directly to the press regarding the incident.

ESPN stated that Erin Andrews, who was voted “America’s Sexiest Sportscaster” by Playboy, has “been grievously wronged” by the release of the nude video on the Internet and subsequent publishing of screenshots by the New York Post. ESPN has vowed to help with the investigation into the origin of the video. “Our people and resources are in full support of her as she deals with this abhorrent act,” a representative for ESPN said on Monday.

The original Erin Andrews peephole video link was posted at NSFWPOA.com, according to a report by Deadspin.com. After ESPN lawyers went after the site, the video was removed, as was a copy posted to YouTube.com. NSFWPOA.com’s Doug Sheckler has refused to reveal the source for the video at this time. Numerous fakes have been posted online, only to leave downloaders infected with malicious virus software.

On Tuesday, the New York Post published screenshots they claim were taken from the nude video of Erin Andrews. According to Newsday.com‘s Watchdog Blog, Sports Illustrated‘s Jon Heyman immediately announced that he would be cancelling his subscription to the Post, as did SportsNet New York’s Chris Carlin.

This is hardly the first time this year the New York Post has published an item designed to instigate controversy. A cartoon published by the Post in February implying a comparison between President Barack Obama and a murdered chimpanzee also stirred up widespread outrage.