The Hunger Games broke $300 million at the box office this weekend, laughing all the way to the bank at American Reunion in a distant second place. As for James Cameron‘s Titanic 3-D, The Hunger Games slayed it at the box office, surpassing the Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet film by over $16 million.
With The Hunger Games still reaping huge ticket sales at the box office, the film is currently on target to rake in over $360 million domestically and is currently the highest grossing film of the year. With the win at the weekend box office, The Hunger Games has now topped ticket sales in the U.S. for the third weekend in the row.
The much maligned Wrath of the Titans sequel came in fourth place at $15 million, with Julia Roberts’ Snow White film Mirror Mirror in fifth with $11 million.
Here is the top ten weekend box office estimated numbers so far. Final weekend ticket sales numbers will come out on Monday.
1. The Hunger Games, $33.5 million.
2. American Reunion, $21.5 million ($19.3 million international).
3. Titanic in 3-D, $17.4 million ($35.5 million international).
4. Wrath of the Titans, $15 million.
5. Mirror Mirror, $11 million.
6. 21 Jump Street, $10.2 million ($2.9 million international).
7. Dr. Seuss’ the Lorax, $5 million ($11.8 million international).
8. Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, $975,000.
9. John Carter, $820,000
10. Safe House, $581,000.
Subscribe to Snark Food updates on Facebook, Twitter, Email, or RSS